How to Form a C Corporation in Montana


When you form a corporation in Montana, the state requires you to file with the Secretary of State. You can complete the process yourself by following these steps:

STEP 1: Search for the corporation name.

You can check the availability of your desired name by searching on the Montana SOS website. If it is available, great! You’re ready to move on to step two. If not, try a different name until you find one that works for you or ask a friend or family member if they have any ideas for potential corporate names and see what they come up with. You may also want to look into using an assumed name as your C Corporation; this will allow you to get started while you’re still deciding on a permanent brand identity later down the line after incorporating and filing articles of incorporation with SOS (more information about this in Step 2).

STEP 2: Appoint a Montana registered agent.

A registered agent is a person or business that agrees to be responsible for certain legal documents and official notices being served to your corporation. You can use a Montana resident as your registered agent, but it is more common to use a Montana business since they are used to receiving legal paperwork on behalf of other companies.

STEP 3: Fill out the Articles of Incorporation form.

Fill out the Articles of Incorporation form. Attach a copy of the Articles of Incorporation to the form. Submit the form electronically or by mail. If you submit by mail, you’ll need to pay a $25 filing fee.

STEP 4: Submit the Montana Articles of Incorporation online or by mail.

The Montana Articles of Incorporation form is a one-page document that you can submit online or by mail. You will not have to file the Articles with your state, as it is simply a legal document filed within your company’s home state.

Once you’ve submitted this form, all that’s left is to sign the document and have it notarized by a Montana Notary Public.

STEP 5: File an Annual Report with the Montana Secretary of State (SOS).

Montana C Corporations are required to file an annual report with the Montana Secretary of State (SOS). You can do this online at any time, but you have to file in order to keep your corporation active. The filing fee is $10 per year, and you’ll need to fill out a few simple fields.

If your corporation has been inactive for more than one year—meaning it hasn’t filed an annual report in that time—you’ll need to re-register it before you can begin selling shares or taking on investors. Re-registration costs $25 plus the same filing fee again.

  • How do I know if my company needs re-registration? We recommend checking with us first because there are a few exceptions: If it’s been less than two years since your last registration date and all shareholders still own their shares in the company (and haven’t sold them or given them away), then no re-registration is needed!

The Montana Secretary of State has resources to help you form a C corporation in the state.

If you need help forming a C corporation in Montana, the Montana Secretary of State can help. They have a website with resources for entrepreneurs to help them incorporate and become an official business. The site has information about local and state laws, how to register your company with the state, and common questions about starting a business. You can find this information by visiting the Montana Secretary of State’s website at:

Once you’ve found this resource on their website, there are other ways to reach out to their team:

  • Call them at 406-444-3231 from 8 am – 5 pm Monday through Friday (MST)
  • Email them at [email protected] or use their online form at[…]


We hope you found our guide helpful! If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to reach out.

Start your Trademark

Register Your Trademark & Get The Delivery of your USPTO Serial No. In 24 Hours

Related Posts

How Front-End Developers Can Benefit From Trademark Registration In 2023
How Front-End Developers Can Benefit From Trademark Registration In 2023
Register a Poultry Business on Amazon
How to Register a Poultry Business on Amazon
Register a Meat Business on Amazon
How to Register a Meat Business on Amazon
Register a Food Business on Amazon
How to Register a Food Business on Amazon

USPTO Trademark Filing in Just $49

Register Your Trademark with USPTO Today & Get Serial No. in 24 Hours